Christopher Williams is a member in the Firm’s commercial litigation section. Chris has a diverse litigation practice that includes construction, business and toxic tort, cybersecurity, privacy, environmental, and real property litigation. Chris has defended businesses in premises liability, transportation, personal injury, fraud, and other torts. Finally, Chris has experience defending municipalities and other governmental entities, as well as complex and class action litigation. He is licensed to practice law in Alabama and Florida and serves as outside counsel for litigation, planning and zoning matters for the City of Fairhope.
Chris has developed a specialty practice in the area of cybersecurity and privacy. Chris has worked with clients that have fallen victim to spear-phishing attacks, ransomware, man-in-the-middle email schemes, wire instruction fraud, and other computer security breaches. He has advised clients on policies and procedures to minimize cybersecurity vulnerability, has served as breach counsel for multiple clients following a breach, and has assisted clients in crafting notices for compromised personal information in accordance with state and federal laws. He has also been involved in litigation involving data breach.
Chris has achieved the following for clients of the Firm in litigation:
- Obtained full dismissal for a governmental entity on a class action claim for seventy-five million dollars;
- Obtained a favorable judgment in a bench trial for a million-dollar real property dispute which was affirmed on appeal;
- Obtained final summary judgment for property owners in a dispute regarding rights to a pier;
- Obtained full dismissal of all claims in an arbitration on behalf of an automobile dealership in a dispute with a customer;
- And attained multiple favorable settlements in residential and commercial construction defect cases on behalf of residential home builder, general contractor, and subcontractor clients.
He grew up in Mobile, attending McGill-Toolen Catholic High School and Spring Hill College. Chris was the SGA Senior Class President at Spring Hill and graduated summa cum laude with a B.A. in English. He received his J.D., magna cum laude from Loyola University New Orleans College of Law, where he was on Law Review and competed in two national trial advocacy competitions. He is a member of the Order of Barristers and was named a Crowe Scholar upon graduation from Loyola. He is currently a member of the Paul W. Brock American Inn of Court.
Chris lives on the Eastern Shore with his wife, Creagh, who is a registered nurse, and sons Bennett and Cullen. He is an active youth sports coach (baseball, football, and basketball), is a member of the Fairhope Kiwanis Club, a participant in the South Alabama Volunteer Lawyers Program, and is a member of St. Lawrence Catholic Church in Fairhope.
- Alabama State Bar, 2012
- Florida State Bar, 2015
- Eleventh U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, 2016
- J.D., Loyola University New Orleans College of Law, magna cum laude, 2012
- B.A., Spring Hill College, summa cum laude, 2009
Civic and Professional Affiliations
- Paul M. Brock American Inn of Court
- Member of the Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- Litigation Management Institute, Certified Litigation Management Professional designation
- Member of Fairhope Kiwanis Club
- Past President of Mobile Business Fusion Chapter of BNI
- Vice Chair of Green Coast Council, An Initiative of the Alabama Coastal Foundation
- Big Brothers Big Sisters
- South Alabama Volunteer Lawyers Program
Publications and Presentations
- “Municipal Mayhem: Navigating Practical and Legal Implications of a Cyber Breach for Local Government,” November 2020, Alabama League of Municipalities Fall Conference
- “Cybersecurity Risks and Liabilities,” October 2020, Electric Cities of Alabama Engineering and Operations Conference
- “Trends in Cybersecurity,” October 2019, Gulf States Shipbuilders Consortium
- “Cybersecurity for Nonprofits,” October 2016, South Alabama Volunteer Lawyers Program
- Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch, Commercial Litigation, 2021
- Mobile Bay Monthly 40 Under 40, Class of 2019
- Mid-South Super Lawyers© Rising Star, 2019