R. Preston Bolt, Jr. serves as the chair of Hand Arendall Harrison Sale’s public finance practice group. He practices in the fields of public finance, securities, and commercial and lending transactions. He was born in Anniston, Alabama, practiced in Georgia from 1979 until 1982, and was admitted to the Alabama State Bar in 1983. He graduated from The University of Alabama, B.A. 1976, and from Vanderbilt University School of Law, J.D. 1979. Preston was selected for membership in Phi Beta Kappa, Omicron Delta Kappa, Jasons, and was the recipient of the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award. At Vanderbilt Law School, he was a Patrick Wilson Scholar and was inducted into the Order of the Coif. He served on the staff of the Vanderbilt Law Review, 1977—1979.
Preston has extensive experience in representing cities, counties, utilities and other public bodies issuing bonds and other tax-exempt debt. He also has acted as bond counsel for bonds issued to finance projects for 501(c)(3) organizations and manufacturing and other facilities eligible for industrial development and financing.
With the increased use of incentives and public/private partnerships to encourage investment, Preston has also had extensive experience in advising both public and private participants in public/private transactions. He regularly advises clients with respect to tax exemptions and abatements, infrastructure assistance, direct financial assistance and other types of assistance available to encourage economic development. For a complete listing of representative tax-exempt financings in which Preston or other members of the Public Finance and Economic Development Practice Group have participated, see List of Representative Tax-Exempt Financings.
Preston is a member of the Mobile County Bar Association, the National Association of Bond Lawyers and numerous civic and charitable boards. He is a Fellow of the American College of Bond Counsel.
- Alabama State Bar, 1983
- J.D., Vanderbilt University School of Law, 1979
- B.A., University of Alabama, 1976
Civic and Professional Affiliations
- Alabama State Bar
- Mobile County Bar Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- American College of Bond Counsel
- Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Bellingrath-Morse Foundation
- Board Member and Past Chairman of Leadership Alabama
- Board Member and Past Chairman of A+ Education Foundation
- Past Chairman of the Mobile Area Chamber of Commerce, the Mobile Library Board and the Mobile Area Education Foundation
- Board Member and Past Chairman of the Public Affairs Research Council of Alabama
- Chambers USA, Banking & Finance: Public Finance
- Best Lawyers In America©, 2005—2024, Public Finance Law
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Rated