Norman Stockman leads the Firm’s Admiralty & Maritime Section, Construction and Public Contracts Practice Group, and Disaster Recovery Team. Norman’s diverse practice includes commercial litigation, maritime litigation and transactions, construction litigation and contract negotiations, and bankruptcy litigation. Norman tries cases in state and federal courts in Alabama and Mississippi and is also admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida and the Fifth and Eleventh Circuit Courts of Appeals.
Norman’s clients include marine towing companies, terminal operators, shipyards, shipowners, marinas, domestic and international marine insurers, architects, engineers, contractors, suppliers, property owners, commercial insurance companies, financial institutions, and other businesses and commercial interests.
Norman is actively involved in numerous trade and business associations and has served in leadership positions as president of the Propeller Club of the United States, Port of Mobile, as chair of the Young Lawyers Committee and member of the board of directors of the Maritime Law Association of the United States, and as a member of the Alabama State Bar Young Lawyers Section Executive Committee. Norman is also the past president and member of the board of directors of the Dauphin Way United Methodist Church Foundation and is the vice-chair and member of the board of directors of the Mobile Museum of Art.
- Alabama State Bar, 1999
- Mississippi State Bar, 2001
- J.D., University of Alabama School of Law, magna cum laude, 1999
- B.A., Economics, University of Virginia, with distinction, 1996
Civic and Professional Affiliations
- Alabama State Bar (Young Lawyers Section Executive Committee Member 2003—2010)
- Mississippi State Bar
- Mobile Bar Association (Chair, Admiralty Section, 2011—2012)
- Maritime Law Association of the United States (Chair, Young Lawyers Committee, 2013—2015; Board of Directors, 2017—2020)
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute (Board of Directors, 2007—2008)
- Propeller Club, Port of Mobile (President, 2013—2015; Vice-President, 2012—2013; Board of Governors, 2007—2015; Advisory Committee, 2015—Present)
- Dauphin Way United Methodist Church Foundation (President, 2018—present; Treasurer, 2017; Board of Directors 2017—present)
- Mobile Museum of Art (Vice-Chair, 2021—present; Secretary 2019—2020; Board of Directors, 2017—present)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Waterways Operators
Publications and Presentations
- “Hand Arendall attorney elected president of international maritime organization’s Mobile club.” July 22, 2013.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year 2022, Admiralty and Maritime Law, Mobile
- Best Lawyers In America©, Admiralty and Maritime Law, 2013—2022