Mr. Townsend is a Member in the Firm’s Destin office. His primary areas of practice are community association law and civil litigation. He has more than 35 years of jury and bench trial experience and appellate court practice, as well as representation of clients in mediation and arbitration proceedings. He has represented clients in cases including a multi-million dollar jury trial verdict for a condominium association client, a landmark Florida Supreme Court ruling, and numerous other significant trial and appellate court rulings.
Mr. Townsend routinely teaches community association board member education classes and community association manager continuing education courses. He has also been a presenter at the Community Associations Institute-College of Community Association Lawyers annual law conference.
Mr. Townsend is Board Certified by the Florida Bar in Condominium and Planned Development Law, which is the highest level of recognition of an attorney’s competency and expertise in that area of law. He holds the AV® Preeminent™ highest rating by Martindale-Hubbell, which rates attorneys in the areas of professional conduct, ethics and ability based on evaluations by other attorneys. Mr. Townsend was also recognized as one of Florida’s top rated lawyers (less than one percent of all lawyers in Florida) by Florida Trend magazine’s 2019 Legal Elite, which is determined by evaluations and recommendations from other Florida attorneys.
- Florida State Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- Eleventh U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals
- J.D., University of Florida College of Law, 1980
- B.A., University of Florida, 1978
Civic and Professional Affiliations
- Board Certified in Condominium and Planned Development Law by the Florida Bar—2018
- Community Associations Institute – Florida North Gulf Coast Chapter (Member of Chapter Board of Directors and Past Chapter President)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent