Henry T. Morrissette is a strong and creative advocate for clients in state and federal courts throughout Alabama. He has more than 30 years of experience successfully representing corporate and individual clients in business and insurance disputes and defending businesses and insurance companies in life, health, and disability insurance; ERISA; employee benefits; fraud and bad faith; product liability; and class action cases. Henry serves as Chair of the Firm’s Personal Injury, Insurance and Employment Practice Group. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America and was named Best Lawyers 2013 “Lawyer of the Year” for Insurance Law for Mobile, Alabama. Henry has also been selected for inclusion in Mid-South Super Lawyers.
Henry is very active in civil defense trial lawyer organizations. He is a member of the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC). Henry is past Chair of the IADC In House and Law Firm Management Committee. He served as Co-Editor of the Third Edition of the Defense Counsel Training Manual published by the IADC. Henry is also a past Chair of the IADC Trial Techniques and Tactics Committee. He served on the faculty of the 2012 IADC Trial Academy at Stanford Law School. Henry also served as 2010 General Convention Chair and as Program Chair for the 2011 IADC Annual meeting. Henry was President of the Alabama Defense Lawyers Association in 2001—2002 and served as Alabama State Representative for the Defense Research Institute from 2002—2005. He currently serves as Chair of the Federal Court Civil Practice Section of the Mobile Bar Association.
Henry is actively involved in the Mobile community. He is a former member of the Board of Directors of the Mobile Area Chamber of Commerce and served as Vice Chair for Economic Development. Henry served as the Co-Chair of the Mobile Connect Program for the Mobile Area Chamber of Commerce. Henry served as President of the Mobile Arts Council in 2012. He also volunteers his time with the South Alabama Volunteer Lawyers Program. Henry and his wife, Beth, live near Downtown Mobile.
- Alabama State Bar, 1991
- United States Supreme Court, 2002
- United States Courts of Appeals:
- Eleventh U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, 1992
- United States District Courts: Southern District of Alabama, 1991
- Middle District of Alabama, 1992
- Northern District of Alabama, 1992
- J.D., University of Alabama Law School, 1991
- Alabama Law Review
- Trial Advocacy Competition Team
- Dean M. Leight Harrison Award
- Hugo Black Scholar
- Order of Coif
- B.A., Vanderbilt University, cum laude, 1988
Civic and Professional Affiliations
- International Association of Defense Counsel (Chair, Amicus Committee 2022-2024)
- Federal Court Civil Practice Section – Mobile Bar Association (Chair, 2022-2023)
- Mobile Area Chamber of Commerce (Board of Directors 2016—2018)
- Defense Research Institute (Alabama State Representative 2002—2005)
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association (President 2001—2002)
- South Alabama Volunteer Lawyers Program
- Government Street Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) (Elder and Trustee; Clerk of the Session 2023)
Publications and Presentations
- Long Live the Debatable Reason – The Current Status of Alabama Bad Faith Law and Strategies for Defending Bad Faith Claims, 2020 Defense Lawyers’ Association Meeting
- In-House Insights for Outside Counsel, International Association of Defense Counsel Speaks Podcast Series
- Strategies for Excluding Plaintiffs – Bad Faith Experts, 2019 Annual Meeting of the International Association of Defense Counsel
- Strategies for Excluding or Limiting Plaintiffs’ Bad Faith Experts, 86 Def. Couns. J. (2019)
- Voir Dire, 2012 IADC Trial Academy, Stanford Law School, Palo Alto, CA.
- Direct Examination of an Economist, 2012 IADC Trial Academy, Stanford Law School, Palo Alto, CA.
- Preparing for and Defending the “Conflict of Interest” 30(b)(6) Deposition, 2012 DRI Life, Health, Disability and ERISA Claims Seminar, Chicago, IL
- Bad Faith and Bad Faith Failure to Settle, 2011 Mobile Bar Association Annual Civil Law Update, Mobile, Alabama.
- Polishing the Armor – Preparing Your Corporate Witness for Deposition, 2011 DRI Northeast Regional Meeting, New Castle, NH.
- Preparing Your Corporate Witness for Deposition, ABA Committee on Pretrial Practice & Discovery Newsletter, Fall 2010.
- Polishing the Armor – Preparing Your Corporate Client for Deposition, 2009 South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association Annual Meeting, Savannah, GA.
- “Long Live the Debatable Reason,” Alabama Defense Lawyers Association Journal, April 2009, Vol. 25, No. 1
- Alabama Bad Faith Law – The Evolution of the “Abnormal Case” and Strategies for Defending Claims Asserting It, 2008 Alabama Defense Lawyers’ Association Fall Meeting, Atlanta, GA.
- Tips for Preparing Your Client for Deposition, 75 DEF. COUNS. J. 105 (2008).
- “Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act Does Not Prohibit Production of Information Regarding Non-Parties,” DRI Life, Health and Disability Newsletter, Winter 2005.
- “The Future of the General Release After Pierce v. Orr,” 42 Ala.L.Rev. 233 (1990)
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year 2013, Insurance Law, Mobile
- Best Lawyers In America© 2007—2023, Insurance Law
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent
- Mid-South Super Lawyers