Gregory Hawley is Senior of Counsel in the firm’s Birmingham office. His primary practice areas include Conservatorship, Business Litigation, and Environmental Litigation.
Conservatorship: Mr. Hawley has been serving as one the Jefferson County Conservators since appointed to that position in 2013 by the Probate Court. In that capacity, he has managed hundreds of conservatorship and guardianship cases, worked with a dozen or more elder care facilities, hospitals, with doctors, nurses, caregivers, and with mental health professionals to meet the needs of his conservator clients. In 2021, upon the retirement of the other Jefferson County Conservator, Mr. Hawley at the request of the Court assumed the handling of those court-appointed cases as well.
Business Litigation: In his 35 years of practice, he has appeared in about half the county courthouses and most of the federal courthouses in Alabama. He has represented defendants in numerous environmental tort, products liability and mass tort class actions.
Environmental Litigation: Hawley has represented several energy companies to resolve their disputes in Alabama concerning environmental and contract issues arising from the production, storage or transportation of gasoline and fuels.
- Alabama State Bar
- District of Columbia
- Texas State Bar
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1983
- A.B., Harvard College, cum laude, 1979 (Honors Thesis: “The Kennedy Tax Cut: The Interplay of Politics, Economics and Government”)
Civic and Professional Affiliations
- Indian Springs School, Board of Governors, 1998 – 2011
- Harvard Club of Birmingham, President, 2006 – 2008
- State Law Resources, Inc., Chair, 2002 – 2003
- Leadership Birmingham, 1996
- Alabama State Bar
- Editor, The Alabama Lawyer (2010 – 2019)
- Access to Justice Commission (2014 – 2019)
- Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year (2012)
- Bar Commissioner (2006 – 2009)
- Board Member, Alabama Bar Foundation (2006 – 2009)
- Birmingham Bar Association
- President (2010)
- Chair, Long Range Planning Committee
- National Association of Bar Executives
- Member, Communications Section (2010 – 2019)
- Best Lawyers in America, 2009 – Present
- Mid-South Super Lawyers, 2009 – Present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated, 1994 – Present