Laurel Thorpe serves as of counsel in the Firm’s litigation section. She maintains a diverse practice with an emphasis on employment law, worker’s compensation, and health care regulatory compliance. Laurel brings her comprehensive human resources background to provide practical solutions for employers in their compensation, leave, wellness, and benefits programs. She works thoughtfully and strategically to assist clients in the development and administration of workplace safety, privacy, discrimination, discipline, and termination policies.
With experience in the human resources departments of large employers, Laurel understands the impact legal compliance has on management and administration and is able to assist employers with practical solutions to address complex regulatory issues.
Laurel received her J.D., cum laude, from the University of Houston Law Center. While at UHLC, she served as the Managing Editor of the inaugural board of the Houston Journal of Health Law and Policy, and she served on the editorial board of the Houston Journal of International Law. Laurel refined her research and writing skills as an assistant to employment law professors working extensively on issues related to ethical decision making, employment regulations, and disability related claims.
After law school, Laurel began her practice in the Houston office of a national firm. She returned home to the Gulf Coast where, in addition to her law practice, she devotes her time to family, community, and church. She enjoys teaching and speaking at women’s ministry events and professional development programs.
- Alabama State Bar, 2008
- Texas State Bar, 2002
- J.D., University of Houston Law Center, cum laude
- B.A., University of Alabama at Birmingham
Civic and Professional Affiliations
- Mobile County Bar Association
- Baldwin County Bar Association
- Heart for Athletes, Board of Directors
Publications and Presentations
- Physician Employment Agreements: Key Considerations (April 2023)
- FERPA & HIPAA: A Primer on Student Privacy (Aug. 2023)
- Harassment & Professional Behavior (Jan. 2023)
- Hot Topics in Human Resources (Sept. 2022)
- Recent Developments in Privacy, Security, and Employment Regulations (Feb. 2023)